The AFLA team

Thursday 5 April 2012

Bristol Avon clean up

Every time I go fishing I pick up litter and plastic bottles. It's depressing. However inspired by clean up campaigns on other rivers, I have decided to get something going on our own Bristol Avon. I fish the river fairly regularly at Newbridge, downstream of Bath. It is good fishing, in a very pretty landscape, with lots of wildlife - otter, boar, deer, water rail, wildfowl and more. But the banks are marred by litter and the place deserves better. So today, my girls and I made a start and managed to fill our rubble bags with plastic bottles from just three spots. We collected over 200 drinks and energy bottles, plus about 30 larger bottles, 2 oil containers (one still with oil, but no lid - nice), 10 or so gas canisters, 5 beer cans and 6 glass bottles. The girls were brilliant and want to go again, with some more help because I can assure you, 7 bags weigh alot and we dragged them about a kilometre back to the van. With the exception of the oil containers, we recycled the lot at Tescos. If you'd like to help, leave a comment or email me through our web site www.afla.co.uk. Birds will be nesting soon, so a 'deep clean' will be impractical but we hope to do another session this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment